User controlled i/o block size?

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Tue Apr 12 07:02:28 UTC 2016

At 01:33 12.04.2016, Greg Freemyer wrote:

>I'm just doing a local copy:
>rsync -avp --progress <source_dir> <dest_dir>

Just as side information: In local copies all files are copied wholly,
the diff algorithm is not in effect. So if a file changes then it still is
copied completely (without --partial, --no-whole-file etc).

Second thing: From what I remember rsync does a lot of stat calls to
get every file's properties. This is more expensive on cygwin/Windows
than on linux directly. Rsync also uses processes/threads which are
easier/faster to create and switched to on linux than on Windows.

A Windows native implementation of rsync could run faster than the
original rsync with cygwin layer. Some time ago somebody announced
a new program using the rsync algorithm. But I never used it so I don't
know about the features or speed.

<http://www.acrosync.com/windows.html>http://www.acrosync.com/windows.html

bye  Fabi