Fwd: transferring large encrypted images.

Selva Nair selva.nair at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 22:24:40 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:

> As I said before, just rsyncing the lower layer (encrypted) of an eCryptfs
>> volume may work well -- no multiple decryption-encryption cycles and what
>> not.. Say you have an eCryptfs folder named ~/Private, then just keep your
>> images in ~/Private and rsync the lower layer in ~/.Private. If you enable
>> filename encryption retrieving individual files may get a bit tricky,
>> though.
>>

> Sure if the files are small and not encrypted. Or, not constantly changing
> (with their encryption).

Not so. For small file there is no advantage as any change may change the
whole file. Its for large files where only a  few blocks change that the
delta algorithms saves transfer time. And that's exactly where eCryptfs
ould help.

You don't like file level encryption but that is exactly what you have been
asking about. You cant move out of Windows but still want a scalable,
stable solution. Its all a contradiction of terms..

Selva