transferring large encrypted images.

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Tue Oct 13 19:03:21 UTC 2015

Paolo Bolzoni <paolo.bolzoni.brown at gmail.com> schreef:

> Why are you encrypting the files and not the filesystem and the channel?

Because of what the other person mentioned.

If anything anywhen gets compromised, people may have access to the
filesystem(s) and the channel(s) before they get access to the file.
That is to say, yes it is a remote host with a form of cloud
suppliance. I do not think that I can encrypt that filesystem. Of
course, I could encrypt it on the spot but then rsync would also not
work.

They might take my private key from somewhere, so to speak (that does
the transfer) but then they still won't have the file.

The local filesystem is encrypted, not one of the others. I mean I see
the advantage technically but practically having an encrypted file is
way superior for me.

They are images, so they are like filesystems themselves. It is a
filesystem that is being stored on a filesystem.

That's why I encrypt the image. And I store them on remote hosts that
I do not control.

Regards, X.