rsync --link-dest and --files-from lead by a "change list" from some file system audit tool (Was: Re: cut-off time for rsync ?)

Ken Chase rsync-list-m829 at sizone.org
Mon Jul 13 14:43:39 UTC 2015

inotifywatch or equiv, there's FSM stuff (filesystem monitor) as well.

constantData had a product we used years ago - a kernel module that dumped
out a list of any changed files out some /proc or /dev/* device and they
had a whole toolset that ate the list (into some db) and played it out
as it constantly tried to keep up with replication to a target (kinda like
drdb but async). They got eaten by some large backup company and the product
was later priced at 5x what we had paid for it (in the mid $x000s/y)

This 2003-4 technolog is certainly available in some format now.

If you only copy the changes, you're likely saving a lot of time.

/kc

Ken Chase - ken at heavycomputing.ca skype:kenchase23 +1 416 897 6284 Toronto Canada
Heavy Computing - Clued bandwidth, colocation and managed linux VPS @151 Front St. W.