rsync to multiple destinations

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Thu Jan 29 02:12:44 MST 2015

On Thu 29 Jan 2015, Johan Kröckel wrote:

> I am looking for a way to start one rsync command with multiple destinations.
> My use case:
> I have one (slow) usb drive which should be synced to two other
> harddrives. It would be great if rsync could read one file which is to
> be copied to both hard drives only once, so the slow usb connection is
> used more efficiently.

Running two parallel rsync jobs, one to one disk and the other to the
second disk will generally lead to the processes running in sync with
each other, so that data will only be read from the source disk once,
the read by the other rsync process will be satisfied from the buffer
cache.
At least that's been my experience...

Paul