Changing only file permissions

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Wed Apr 22 02:17:42 MDT 2015

No, even if bandwidth is your concern I would say that --checksum is
wrong.  Maybe if bandwidth is so scarse that a few KB vs a few MB
equates to dollars then sure, use --checksum.  Otherwise, letting
rsync re-delta-xfer everything is certainly faster and not much more
bandwidth intensive than --checksum.  Plus that is only if you screwed
up and ran rsync wrongly in the past.  This question shouldn't matter
as you should have synchronized mtime stamps so that rsync knows what
is going on.

In my experience, --checksum is really only useful with
- --only-write-batch, or with --link-dest and known corruption, or with
- --itemize-changes and a watch for hardware induced corruption.

If --checksum didn't checksum absolutely everything on both ends it
might be more useful.  But apparently the use cases for --checksum are
so rare that nobody seems to care that --checksum is so stupid that it
checksums files that have different file sizes (and therefore could
only have a matching checksum if one file is a carefully crafted hash
collision) and it even checksums file that only exist on one (or the
other) end of the connection even though there is no file on the other
end to compare the checksum to.  What a waste of time.

On 04/22/2015 03:57 AM, Hendrik Visage wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Kevin Korb <kmk at sanitarium.net>
> wrote: Normally, I would say that --checksum is actually slower
> than just letting rsync re-copy everything
>
>> Depends on the network capacity and costs associated with that
>> bandwidth :(
>
> and therefore is almost always the wrong thing to do.
>
>> Nope, not when you are bandwidth and budget constraint ;)
>
> However, in this case, you really don't want to overwrite the
> running OS even with files that are essentially the same.  So, if
> the system is running from that storage then --checksum might
> actually be useful.

>> -- Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the
>> mailing list. To unsubscribe or change options:
>> read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.