rsync --link-dest won't link even if existing file is out of date

Ken Chase rsync-list-m829 at sizone.org
Wed Apr 15 02:10:47 MDT 2015

80 million calls isnt 'that bad' since it completes in 5 hours, yes? I suppose
I dont mind. I should throw more ram in the box and figure out how to tune
meta-data caching so its preferred over file data. Then it'd be quicker.

Either way, it's working for me now, and in fact, if the backup server is
'slow', then thrashing the production servers isnt as bad. I want them
thrashed just the right amount so things complete in a total of 5 hours,
about 1 hr per server. (--bwlimit doenst do it, because much thrashing
of 15M+ files/server is enough meta-data cache disk IO).

More servers? more U and more power in my $expensive facility? Things are
working for me now because I am not recreating 80 million links, which seems
to cost much much more than 80 million stats (reads vs reads+writes+head-thrash-
between-them?)

My secret is doing the servers sequentially, so I dont have more head-thrash
on the backup server. Then things really start slowing down.

Though Im interested in ZFS dedupe, this is the wrong list for that :)

Im more curious about how my system is actually NOT working properly for me,
other than using up more disk than i wanted - except that's fixed now in 3.1
apparently (hasnt made it into debian stable yet, among other distros...).

Im just pax -rwl'ing my old backups manually til they're all using the same inodes,
then I can continue with mv $olddate $otday; rsync --link-dest=$yest host:/dir $today
and things will be great. I've already saved 1TB of 12 over the last 2 weeks by paxing
(and in the last week with the 3.1 rsync), and I expect that to drop by another 2-3TB
over the next month.

/kc

Ken Chase - ken at heavycomputing.ca skype:kenchase23 +1 416 897 6284 Toronto Canada
Heavy Computing - Clued bandwidth, colocation and managed linux VPS @151 Front St. W.