rsync --link-dest won't link even if existing file is out of date

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:35:01 MDT 2015

> Ill take a look but I imagine I cant backup the 80 Million files I need
> to in under the 5 hours i have for nightly maintenance/backups. Currently
> it's possible by recycling directories...

To cover that many files in that much time you will require a high speed system.
Just another thought. Perhaps splitting the backup onto multiple backup servers / storage systems would reduce the backup time so that it fits into your window?

Also, I strongly agree with the previous posts relating to file system snapshots. ZFS is just one file system which supports this kind of system.