timeout not working.

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 14 04:35:41 MDT 2015

I am rsyncing to data from one machine (Server) running rsync --deamon
(from inetd) to another (client) using
  /usr/bin/rsync -azq --delete --timeout=60 --contimeout=60
"10.1.1.100::data/" "/data/data/"
on the client which works well as you would expect (takes about 34secs
with no changes).
however, if I disconnect the (dedicated) net cable between the machines
mid sync, rsync does not quit after 60seconds as expected. 2 hours later
it is still not quitting.
I can reliably repeat this behaviour. just start a sync, and unplug the
net cable after a few seconds.
i'm running rsync 3.1.0 on both ends (on slackware 14.1 64bit) (3.1.1 is
not yet available for slackware)
any suggestions appreciated, thanks
Tim