rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers

Hans Kraus hans at hanswkraus.com
Thu Apr 9 02:43:46 MDT 2015

Hi,

I've configured 'backuppc' to transfer files via rsyncd, with enabled
checksums. Whith one of the shares I get the error (in syslog):
robbe rsyncd[2183]: ERROR: out of memory in receive_sums [sender]
robbe rsyncd[2183]: rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers
(code 22) at util2.c(106) [sender=3.1.2dev]
robbe rsyncd[9821]: connect from elefant.control.local (192.168.1.200)
robbe rsyncd[9821]: rsync on . from backuppc at elefant.control.local
(192.168.1.200)
I read that the memory overflow comes from bulding the checksums list.

Is there a way to find out where in the file tree that overflow occurs
for determine splitting points?

The OS is Debian 7.4 amd, 24 GB RAM, 32 GB swap.

Kind regards, Hans