--temp-dir option question/issue

Nirat Shah nishah at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 19:57:23 MDT 2014

Hello, I am using rsync with "--temp-dir=/tmp" option for rsync module.  I
noticed that if the "tmp" directory is deleted rsync attempt will fail like
-

 rsync: mkstemp "<module_base>/tmp/.xyz_file.Z0m8I6" (in <module>) failed:
No such file or directory (2)
 rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors)
(code 23) at main.c(1039) [sender=3.0.6]

I just wanted to understand how and when the "tmp" directory is created.
Is there a option to create one if it doesn't exist?  The issue I see is
that on our system, the "tmp" does seem to be getting deleted once in a
while (cause of which I am still trying to figure out).

Thank you very much.
-Nirat.