Backup scripts

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Tue Sep 9 18:45:42 MDT 2014

Have you considered more advanced methods such as subvolume snapshots
provided by ZFS and BTRFS?  At work we were forced to abandon rsync
- --link-dest because of the amount of time it takes to delete old
backups when the data is primarily many millions of small files
(shared web hosting company).

Essentially, instead of a new target and a reference to the previous
on each run your target is the same on each run and after the run
finishes you tell the filesystem to make a snapshot of it.  Then when
it is time to delete an old backup it is a single filesystem operation
rather than a massive recursive rm.

On 09/09/2014 08:32 PM, Henri Shustak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The --link-dest approach is the way LBackup works and this is also
> what allows the lcd command (part of LBackup) to move you back and
> forth in time while you remain in the same directory relative
> directory. This makes finding a particular data quite easy during a
> partial restore.
>
> In particular, having a full directory makes restore from a point
> in time easy and (as Kevin pointed out) there is no need to merge
> various incremental backups. Each point it time simply appears as a
> full file system tree. Although, the space required is lowered
> somewhat due to the use of hard links.

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution
> http://www.lbackup.org
>
> On 5/09/2014, at 9:44 AM, Kevin Korb <kmk at sanitarium.net> wrote:
>
> That is how to do an incremental backup.  But rsync can do a
> snapshot with --link-dest instead of --backup.  The big difference
> is that with --link-dest each backup will contain the entire tree
> not just the different files.  Therefore if you need to restore an
> old version you can do so without merging the current with the
> old.
>
> Also, no -z on a local copy ;)

>> -- Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the
>> mailing list. To unsubscribe or change options:
>> read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.