Backup scripts

Greg Deback (rsync) greg.deb+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:41:03 MDT 2014

Hi,

I think the words used are not correct, that's why you (and Kevin) are a
bit confused. You are in fact asking for "incremental" backup, not a
"snapshot" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapshot_(computer_storage).
In this case, you can use rsync with a few flags to delete (or move in
another directory) the modified/deleted files regarding the last "backup".

This would look something like this ((h)uman, do not (x)cross filesystem
boundaries, (P)rogress, (H)ard-links, (a)rchive, aka
recursive+symlinks+perms+time+owner+group+specials and g(z)ip):

# Cloning your data to a distant folder with timestamp
rsync -hxPHaz --exclude=<exclude_list> <source> <target>/$NOW/
# Incremental backup only
rsync -hxPHaz --exclude=<exclude_list> --delete --backup
# You can even "suffix" the modified/deleted files
rsync -hxPHaz --exclude=<exclude_list> --delete --backup

Hope that will help,
Greg