Backup scripts

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Thu Sep 4 15:00:21 MDT 2014

Do you actually have any snapshots currently?  From the scripts you
posted it seems to just be rsyncing to the same dir every run and only
claiming to be making snapshots.  If you do have snapshots now then
something else is happening in addition to this script.

On 09/04/2014 04:58 PM, Chris wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 12:46 -0400, Kevin Korb wrote:
>> The scripts you posted look the same to me.  And I don't see any
>> form of snapshotting.  The $NOW variable is set and is echoed but
>> it is never actually used.  For an rsync snapshot I would expect
>> to see either rsync --link-dest or a cp -al depending on the age
>> of the script.
>>
>> The only reason to need two scripts would be because the
>> snapshot would need 3 dirs to work with (the source, the target,
>> and the previous backup) but that could also be handled with 1
>> script and a simple existing check.
>>
>> On 09/04/2014 12:30 PM, Chris wrote:
>>> I have two scripts that a kind soul on this list wrote for me
>>> over 4yrs ago. I got to looking at them the other day because
>>> my old box crashed and had to build a new one also got a new
>>> backup USB drive since I'm still copying over things from the
>>> old one. The first one is for a full backup:
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.com/XF6Zm42A
>>>
>>> Works great, does exactly what it's supposed to do. The second
>>> is for a 'snapshot' which is where I get a bit confused. I
>>> would think that a 'snapshot' would be just the changed files
>>> either since the last full backup or since the last 'snapshot'
>>> the night before. It seems though that it's actually the same
>>> as a full backup. I don't profess to be a script person so I
>>> have no idea if it's doing what it should or something needs to
>>> be changed. Below is the 2nd script:
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.com/MkBzJnux
>>>
>>> Any advice would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

> Thanks Kevin, I guess for now I'll leave them as they are until I
> can get smart on scripting.
>
> Chris

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.