Using --fuzzy

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Sun Nov 16 17:38:25 MST 2014

On 11/16/2014 03:53:12 PM, Joe wrote:
> I have a lot of files (and directories) (up to a few hundred at a
> time)
> that I get from various sources. Some time after I get them (after
> they
> are already backed up), I often have to move them around and
> normalize
> their names.
>
> When I do this, rsync sees them as unrelated to the copies of these
> files which are already on the backup destination.

I don't know if it suits your use case but
you could consider using hardlinks.

If, instead of moving the files, you hardlinked them
then rsync with -H would see the files as being the same.

(Hardlinking can only be done within a filesystem.)

Then you'd have to delete the original filenames and
rsync again.

This is only practicable if it's easy to delete
the old filenames, say, if all the new files
arrive in a single directory that can later
be deleted.

Karl <kop at meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein