OS X and rsync: unpack_smb_acl errors and --numeric-ids

Kyle Crawford kcrwfrd at gmail.com
Fri May 30 17:59:39 MDT 2014

First of all.  Thank you rsync developers and maintainers for all of your
work.  It is awesome.  I love rsync.  I can't thank you enough.

So this has been brought up before:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2010-April/024941.html

We are getting this error:

stderr: rsync: unpack_smb_acl: sys_acl_get_info(): Undefined error: 0 (0)

due to ACL entries that can not be resolved by name at the time when rsync
attempted to resolve them.

This results in an exit status of 23.

The reason the ACL entry can not be resolved by name could be that a
network directory service like LDAP or Active Directory is having issues.
Or it could be that the user or group no longer exists (locally or in a
network directory service).

On OS X, when this happens, the UUID of the group is displayed instead of
the user or group in an ls -le for example:

host:~$ ls -le
/Volumes/Src/81-access-control-lists-missing-user-and-group/acl-test-2
-rw-r--r--+ 1 root  wheel  0 May 30 13:01
/Volumes/Src/81-access-control-lists-missing-user-and-group/acl-test-2
 0: 4D429A34-54A4-48F2-A9AB-9D1E7D1E6738 allow read
 1: 1E0D050D-973C-47C4-8ACE-D900B04B986D allow read

Or you can see the UUID using ls -len  (numeric).

So when I am transferring from OS X to OS X, I'd like these UUIDs to just
get transferred as UUIDs the same way that --numeric-ids works.

That way I can get a nice exit status of 0 and have confidence in my
backups.

Mr. Bombich has worked around this issue and even posted a patch back in
2011.

http://help.bombich.com/discussions/questions/2248-warning-messages-from-rsync-307

However, the patch has not been updated (that I know of).

And while I was able to apply the patch to rsync 3.0.6 and maybe 3.0.7,
those versions are quite old and I'm noticing that creation times
preservation is not working for me on those even though I apply the crtimes
patch.

I would like to see --numeric-ids handle this by transferring the UUID
rather than attempting to resolve the user/group.  I don't know how this
would work for other platforms/mixed platforms or if there is a way to
detect the source and destination OS for enabling this.

Thoughts?  Should I post this as a feature request?

Thanks,

Kyle