Problem copying hard-linked symlinks

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 15 16:08:08 MDT 2014

On Jun 14 2014, Wayne Davison wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Chris Thompson <cet1 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> When copying these with -H, rsync gets more than a little confused:
>>

>Your rsync must be configured without CAN_HARDLINK_SYMLINK being defined
>(see config.h), as the normal code has been working fine for quite a while.

Yes - it contains

/* Define to 1 if link() can hard-link symlinks. */
/* #undef CAN_HARDLINK_SYMLINK */

But this suggests something wrong with the configure script, as Solaris 10_x86
is perfectly capable of hardlinking symlinks.

(This was rsync compiled from source, using various Sun Studio C compilers.)

> Apparently the we-don't-support-it code wasn't tested very well, since I
>also saw some issues trying it out.  I've checked-in a fix for this into
>the git repo.  Thanks for the report!

Meanwhile, I'll try forcibly modifying config.h, then! Thanks.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk