Eliminate the temp copy

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Tue Jan 28 13:41:29 MST 2014

Rsync doesn't do differential copy if it isn't talking to another
rsync over the network.  In your configuration --whole-file is forced.

Rsync's checksumming is also completely ineffective at checking that
the file was written to the ftp server correctly.  It is checksumming
what it read locally then it is again checksumming what it intends to
write to the remote it doesn't actually read the file back to verify
it.  Neither does cp.

So, your usage of rsync would be better off with 'cp
- --preserve==timestamps -Ru'.

On 01/28/2014 03:35 PM, jplorier at gmail.com wrote:
> Indeed, it's a fuse mount using curlftp. I use rsync because of
> the differential copy to move only new files. Besides I understand
> that rsync performs a verification after the copy which is not the
> case of cp that only uses crc (maybe I'm wrong). I may use rsync to
> directly copy files, but I'm not allowed to install rsync y the
> target server. Do you know of any limitation of rsync over
> curlftp? Regards
>
> El ene 28, 2014 6:19 PM, "Matthias Schniedermeyer" <ms at citd.de
> <mailto:ms at citd.de>> escribió:
>
> On 28.01.2014 <tel:28.01.2014> 08:35, Juan Pablo Lorier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have to sync two directories and one is an ftp mount. I had to
>> set a different tmp dir as tmp files are not allowed in ftp
>> mounts so I
> see no
>> point in copying things to a temp dir if they won't be used for
>> the transfer.
>
> What do you mean by ftp mount? fuse? Is that on Linux or something
> else?
>
> If you DON'T sync to a regular filesystem, there are (or can be)
> limitations on what kind of basic operations are allowed on a file.
> So follows the second questions: Can rsync cope with the
> limitations. Which would explain the I/O-error in the other mail,
> rsync --inplace does something that isn't allowed/supported.
>

> But IFF it isn't a regular filesystem you are syncing to, the value
> of using rsync for the job is largely reduced. Rsync's strength for
> remoted transfers is "delta transfer" which can't be used in such a
> setup. In that setup rsync is reduced to a glorified "cp" (ignoring
> the capability to delete files). You could just use cp directly.
> And with "-u" you also have the basic capability to not copy files
> that didn't change in between runs. (Maybe with an added "-a", or
> at least "--preserve=timestamps")
>

> --
>
> Matthias

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.