rsync -a --update resets status of newer target directories

Arvid Requate requate at univention.de
Wed Jan 15 14:14:36 MST 2014

Hi,

On 15.01.2014 18:18:13, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> As rsync is a tool for unidirectional(!) synchronization of differences
> between file-trees. I would think: Yes. That is intended behaviour.
>
> I don't seen an option to only exclude directories if newer, but there
> is an option to ignore directory-times completely: --omit-dir-times

just to avoid a misunderstanding: I was referring to the status of directories
(mtime, ownership, etc.), not to the files contained below them.

My intention is to let rsync treat the status of directories just like it
treats the status of plain files:

If the option "--update" is specified, it should IMHO only modify the status of
a target directory if its modification time is not newer than that of the
source directory.

It may be a question of debate how to behave if the directory content changed,
but if it did not change, and the target is newer, then I would expect "--
update" to protect the target from regressive status changes. This is how it
works for files. Is there any technical reason why it this option apparently
has not effect in the case of directories?

--
Dr. Arvid Requate
Open Source Software Engineer

requate at univention.de