Changing permissions on existing backup source

Thu Jan 2 04:09:31 MST 2014

On 2014-01-01 1:12 PM, Kevin Korb <kmk at sanitarium.net> wrote:
> The files will not be transferred but they will be stored separately
> as new versions of the file even if the content is the same.

Ok, so, 'stored separately' = take up additional space? which is what I
want to avoid.

> Permissions are per inode not directory entry so you can't have old
> and new permissions without breaking the hard link relationship.

Yeah, this is why I asked... thx...

> The easiest solution is to just do the same chmod on the most recent
> backup before running the next backup.

Ah, that should work perfectly...

So, just to make sure I understand, when I change the perms on the most
recent backup, if I were to go back and look at any of the previous
backups before that one, any files in those older backups that contain
files that are hard-linked in the most recent backup would reflect the
new permissions too, right?

Thanks!

--

Best regards,