problem with rsync-daemon via ssh

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Fri Feb 14 05:06:58 MST 2014

On 13.02.2014 23:38, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> I'm trying to transfer something to another machine launching a
> once-only "daemon" through ssh with this command:
>
>  rsync -avv -e "ssh -l user" ./orig/ machine::module/
>
> where "module" is the name of a file in the home dir of user with the
> following:
>
> path = /path/to/home/transfer
>
> The ssh connection works without passphrase. This is the error:
>
> opening connection using: ssh -l user machine rsync --server --daemon .  (8 args)
> rsync: did not see server greeting
> rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1635) [sender=3.1.1pre1]
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

You could say that.

You mixed the options from "remote shell" with "rsync daemon".
Rsync is used either as 'rsync over SSH'(/remote shell) OR daemon-mode.

- synopsis from man-page -
       Access via remote shell:
         Pull: rsync [OPTION...] [USER@]HOST:SRC... [DEST]
         Push: rsync [OPTION...] SRC... [USER@]HOST:DEST

       Access via rsync daemon:
         Pull: rsync [OPTION...] [USER@]HOST::SRC... [DEST]
               rsync [OPTION...] rsync://[USER@]HOST[:PORT]/SRC... [DEST]
         Push: rsync [OPTION...] SRC... [USER@]HOST::DEST
               rsync [OPTION...] SRC... rsync://[USER@]HOST[:PORT]/DEST
- snip -

In the later case the machine::module-syntax is used (client side) and
target(or server)-rsync must run in daemon-mode on the target machine.

For "rsync over ssh" no conf-file is used at all and all parameters have
to be provied on the commandline (see --conf in man-page)

--

Matthias