Rsync performance with large exchange database files

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Mon Feb 10 15:09:15 MST 2014

Rsync is known to be pretty inefficient on local copies (-W is forced
there btw) and cygwin doesn't really help with that either.
Essentially, when not networking rsync isn't much smarter than cp but
it has a ton of extra overhead.

Also, maybe you want unison since there is a native Windows version of it?

On 02/10/2014 05:05 PM, bruce at sqls.net wrote:

> [...]
> but, nope.
>
> I'm testing this same test on some of my other servers too. See if
> there's any common-ground I can find.
>
> On another servers (MS SQL Server) with faster disks I tried a
> similar test just now. There's only the C drive on this server but
> I used my same test file from the other server and used rsync
> (3.1.0) to copy the folder from one folder to another folder and it
> kicked off and got up to about 25MB/sec. Thing is if I just use
> windows to copy the same file from one folder to the other it does
> the whole file (3.7GB) in about 5.5 seconds (timed with my phone)
> so that's also a pretty massive difference.
>
> Maybe this is normal and I've just not noticed it on these other
> servers since they have a much smaller amount of data to backup?
> Still seems like some thing is wrong. I wouldn't expect the speed
> difference to be that huge.
>

> ------ Original Message ------ From: "Cary Lewis"
> <cary.lewis at gmail.com> To: bruce at sqls.net Sent: 2/10/2014 3:56:35
> PM Subject: Re: Rsync performance with large exchange database
> files
>
>> when you were doing rsync from /cygdrive/c to /cygdrive/d was
>> the exchange file already there? Or was it clean copy?
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM, <bruce at sqls.net> wrote:
>>> Okay, so I've done some testing..
>>>
>>> I created a roughly 4gb file from one of the smaller exchange
>>> database files.
>>>
>>> If I copy that to remotely to my desktop, I get about
>>> 45-50MB/sec read speed off the D (exchange database) drive. If
>>> I copy that back to the C drive (just the OS) for the Windows
>>> server it writes to the C drive at almost 100MB/sec over the
>>> network.
>>>
>>> If I copy directly from the server D drive to it's C drive
>>> using windows it's around 45MB/sec
>>>
>>> Inside cygwin using just the copy command I get about
>>> 35-45MB/sec transfer speed so there's a little hit just from
>>> cygwin.
>>>
>>> Using rsync to "sync" the file from the D drive to the C drive
>>> with the --progress option. I'm getting about 2-2.5MB/sec
>>> transfer speed
>>>
>>> The server is being used... So I've run the tests a few times
>>> thoughout the last hour or so and these are about my average
>>> numbers.
>>>
>>> Why would rsync be so much slower? Is there something I can
>>> test to help figure this out? I'm using rsync on a couple dozen
>>> Windows servers and it's been working great so I'm not sure why
>>> this one is acting weird.
>>>

>>> ------ Original Message ------ From: "Kevin Korb"
>>> <kmk at sanitarium.net> To: rsync at lists.samba.org Sent: 2/10/2014
>>> 10:57:08 AM Subject: Re: Rsync performance with large exchange
>>> database files
>>>
> 3.1.0 will probably help some.
>
> What are the specs of the FreeBSD system? I have found that ZFS on
> FreeBSD is extremely RAM hungry. In my experience 8GB of RAM is
> the minimum if dedup is disabled and 16BG of RAM for when dedup is

line=1052): about to call exit(0)

>>> -- Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the
>>> mailing list. To unsubscribe or change options:
>>> read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.