Rsync performance with large exchange database files

bruce at sqls.net bruce at sqls.net
Mon Feb 10 15:05:10 MST 2014

Clean copy. I even used the -W flag to see if it made a difference but,
nope.

I'm testing this same test on some of my other servers too. See if
there's any common-ground I can find.

On another servers (MS SQL Server) with faster disks I tried a similar
test just now. There's only the C drive on this server but I used my
same test file from the other server and used rsync (3.1.0) to copy the
folder from one folder to another folder and it kicked off and got up to
about 25MB/sec. Thing is if I just use windows to copy the same file
from one folder to the other it does the whole file (3.7GB) in about 5.5
seconds (timed with my phone) so that's also a pretty massive
difference.

Maybe this is normal and I've just not noticed it on these other servers
since they have a much smaller amount of data to backup? Still seems
like some thing is wrong. I wouldn't expect the speed difference to be
that huge.