Bugg when using Extended Attributes flag -X

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 03:22:42 MST 2014

Hello,

One approach is to backup to a disk image on Mac OS X (.sparsebundle) and then to push or pull the disk image over to your remote GNU/LINUX system (possibly via rsync. LBackup has a scripting sub-system to handle exactly this kind of situation. It is not as fancy as the bug fix you proposed. However, it will result in your backup having various extended attributes.

This <http://www.lbackup.org/initialization_scripts/> URL provides information about the initialisation scripts which are designed to make configuring backup scenarios like the one listed above (image attaching and detaching) easier. Much more work is needed to extend the repository of initialisation scripts which are bundled with LBackup. However, the disk image pre and post hook initialization script which is listed on that page works a treat and saves time. It is just a starting point. Contributions, feedback and alliterative approaches to this area of LBackup are certainly welcome.

The idea behind the initialization scripts is to simplify (via automation) a range of steps (often within the LBackup scripting sub-system) so that the setup is as painless as possible. However, ideally the initialisation scripts could eventually extend well beyond the scripting subsystem and into other areas in order to simplify the setup monitoring and verification of backups on multiple servers.

Hope this helps.
Henri

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution
http://www.lbackup.org