List subdirectories only n level deep on the remote server when use the -a option of rsync.

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 02:34:06 MST 2014

Thanks a lot, Paul.

But I've tried the following methodes based on your suggestion and get
different results:

------------
werner at debian:~$ rsync -a --exclude '/*/*/*/*'
rsync://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian | wc -l
1798
werner at debian:~$ rsync -a --exclude '/*/*/*/**'
rsync://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian | wc -l
1798
werner at debian:~$ rsync -a --exclude '/*/*/*/***'
rsync://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian | wc -l
1631
------------

As you can see, the first two give same results, but the third, i.e.,
the one you gives, give a different result.   Why does this happen?

Regards

2014-02-02, Paul Slootman <paul+rsync at wurtel.net>:
> On Sun 02 Feb 2014, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>>
>> I want to list the contents on the remote rsync server only to n, say,
>> 2 level deep.
>>
>> In my case the the server is rsync://ftp.cn.debian.org, and I want to
>> list all of the stuff in the following subdirectory only to 2 level
>> deep:
>>
>> rsync://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian
>>
>> Any hints on this?
>
> rsync -a --exclude '/*/*/*/***' rsync://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian
>

> Paul
> --

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry
Chinese Academy of Sciences
GnuPG DSA: 0xD108493