RFC: Mount namespace option

Marian Marinov mm at yuhu.biz
Fri Apr 11 18:08:31 MDT 2014

Hi, I have a new version of the namespace patches which actually works :)

All comments(good and mostly bad :) ) is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Marian

On 04/03/2014 04:48 PM, Marian Marinov wrote:
 > Hello guys,
 > I'm working a lot with Linux Containers(LXC) and find it extremely nice to have the ability to rsync files from the
host machine to the container without the need of SSH.

 > What I did was a simple patch, which added the new option --mount-ns-pid=PID and also added a call to setns() in the
 > do_fork() function.
 >
 > The idea is, that rsync will use the PID to create a path (/proc/PID/ns/mnt), open that path and give the file
descriptor to setns(), which in turn will switch to the new mount namespace and so, the file operations will be done in
 > the new mount namespace instead of the host's own mount namespace.
 >
 > Are you interested in such functionality for rsync?
 >
 > If you are interested, can we discuss the questions bellow?
 >
 > - Can someone tell me what is the accepted way of accepting patches?
 > I currently have the patches done for the 3.0.9 branch and for 3.1.0 branch.
 >
 > - setns() is found only on newer libc versions.
 > I have copied the implementation from the LXC project, but with a small change, if setns is not supported on the >
machine at all it returns error. I have placed the implementation in rsync.h, but what would be the proper place for it?