rsync performance on large files strongly depends on file's (dis)similarity

Thomas Knauth thomas.knauth at gmx.de
Fri Apr 11 07:09:35 MDT 2014

Maybe an alternative explanation is that a high degree of similarity
allows to skip more bytes on the sender. For each matched block, the
sender can does not need to compute any checksums, weak or strong, for
the next S bytes, where S is the block size.

As the number of matched blocks decreases, i.e., dissimilarity
increases, the number of computed checksums grows. This relationship
is especially apparent for large files, where many strong (and
expensive) checksum must be computed, due to many false alarms.