RFC: slow-down option

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 15:27:30 MDT 2014

The biggest problem we've found with modern day gateways is that they are
dramatically overbuffered and this messes with tcp's congestion avoidance
mode, a lot.

Innumerable resources on "bufferbloat" are on bufferbloat.net to this
effect:

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/TechnicalIntro

and for various rants and data:

http://gettys.wordpress.com/

You can mitigate your problem with an fq_codel based shaper on the gateway
with something like CeroWrt's "SQM" system, (or openwrt's or dd-wrts, etc)

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Setting_up_SQM_for_CeroWrt_310

and further make rsync invisible by marking it with the diffserv marking of
CS1 in that system.

I submitted patches long ago to add classification and support for other
tcps' congestion control algorithms like lp and westwood to rsync's patch
db.

Info on codel and fq_codel:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nichols-tsvwg-codel/
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoeiland-joergensen-aqm-fq-codel-00