map destination files files based on meta data

Cary Lewis cary.lewis at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 08:22:04 MDT 2013

I am in the process of designing a photo synchronization application -
basically I want to be able to copy all of the images captured throughout
my home's infrastructure to a central repository. The problem that I
foresee is that there may be collisions between filenames between the
various computers where my family members sync their photos, movies, etc.
So doing a simple rsync won't work. This is especially true of how iPhoto
stores photos synced from iphones, ipads, etc.

What I want to do is have the ability to map source files to a destination
location / name based on meta information contained in the files. This
could include exif data, or simple file meta information such at date /
time.

I don't want to hardcode the destination paths, because I want all of the
files to be organized / copied into the same destination folder, so that
it's easy to grab copies of all the files pertaining to that folder (e.g.
month when photo was taken.

is it possible to introduce a 'filter' or hook into rsync to compute the
destination file name based on meta information. Is this a worthwhile
feature to develop, or is there something already present that I have
missed?