Potential incompatibilities between '--delete' and --copy-unsafe-symlinks' ???

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Sep 7 19:33:58 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Daniel Freedman <
freedman at systems.cs.cornell.edu> wrote:

>   (1) Why is this the silent default?

It's not silent -- it outputs errors that lets you know what happened and
what it is doing (disabling deletes).

  (2) How do I achieve what I "want", which is:

Kevin already mentioned the correct solution: stop using cp -al and instead
use rsync into an empty dir with --link-dest.  This also solves several
other bogus things that happen when rsync copying over a hard-linked
directory hierarchy.