issues syncing between one host and another

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Thu Sep 5 07:34:09 CEST 2013

The symlink is only a pointer so that you can readlink it on the next
run to determine what to use as your --link-dest parameter.  It is
simply a pointer to the latest directory.

Deleting old stuff is a different concept.  You have a list of
directories with dates and times in the names.  A simple ls will list
them in order.  Any scripting language will have the ability to sort a
list of file names.  So, you make a sorted list then delete however
many you have that are more than the number of them you want starting
with the oldest.  The current symlink is only pointing to the newest
so it would only matter in the deletions if you are deleting all of
the backups.

On 09/05/13 01:08, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> So if i basically sym link the empty backup with the sym link loop
> to the current directory it should fix the issue? what would happen
> though if i want to remove the oldest directory which was synced
> after 7 days would i have issues then like i am experiencing now?
>

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Kevin Korb <kmk at sanitarium.net
> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>> wrote:
>
> The .current symlink is a pointer to the current backup.  It
> should always be from the backup you just made to the fixed
> location of the path you are using readlink on.
>
> On 09/05/13 01:04, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>> How would i need to create the sym link and to what?
>

>> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Kevin Korb <kmk at sanitarium.net
> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>
>> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>>> wrote:
>
>> No, it is linking the new target to the previous link-dest
>
>> On 09/05/13 01:02, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>>> Doesnt my script already do that at the very end?
>

>>> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Kevin Korb <kmk at sanitarium.net
> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>
>> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>>
>>> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>
> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>>>> wrote:
>
>>> Ahh, I missed looking at the ln command.  You are supposed to
>>> be linking the backup you just made to .current.  So,
>
>>> ssh $user@$remotehost ln -sf $remotedir
>>> /home/aquj001/recievingDir.current

> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>
>> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>>
>>> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>
> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>>>
> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>>
>> <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net <mailto:kmk at sanitarium.net>

>>> -- Jonathan Aquilina
>

>> -- Jonathan Aquilina
>

> -- Jonathan Aquilina

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.