rsync -append "chunk" size

Marcin Polkowski marcin at marcinpolkowski.com
Tue Sep 3 10:44:26 CEST 2013

I'm transferring 1.1 Mb files over very poor GSM EDGE connection. My
rsync command is:

rsync --partial --remove-source-files --timeout=120 --append --progress
--rsh=ssh -z LOCAL_FILE root at SERVER:REMOTE_PATH

File on remote server "grows" in size in steps of 262144 bytes. That is
a lot, because system needs to transfer at least 262144 (before
compression) every time connection is established. When I use scp --C
chunk size is about 32Kb. Is there a way to change chunk size for rsync?
I use rsync 3.0.7.

--

Regards,

Marcin Polkowski