ownership and permissions using rsync in daemon mode

kevin mullen kevin at paradatafinancial.com
Fri Oct 18 11:42:20 MDT 2013

I've tried as best I can to get this worked out, and crawled the web and the
documentation but I just can't seem to figure out how to maintain ownership
and permissions from the sending side using rsync in daemon mode.  I feel I
have to be missing something stupid with the proper use of uid/gid/fake
super. I'm trying to automate synchronizing some program binaries between a
production and warm spare environment. I can't use pre-shared ssh
certificates. In the sample below the user install/staff is on both
machines.

Setup:

Daemon side: AIX 6.1.8 64 bit.
             Rsync 3.06 and rsync 3.1.0.

Running from inetd:

rsync   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/rsync rsyncd –daemon

# pg rsyncd.conf
motd file = none
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

[r2a15]
path = /usr/A15
uid = root
gid = system
fake super = yes
hosts allow = 172.22.22.2
hosts deny = *
list = true
read only = false
write only = true
auth users = username

sender side: AIX 6.1.4 64 bit
             rsync 3.0.6

Run from command prompt as root

/usr/bin/rsync -av --progress --stats --delete –z /usr/A15/*
username at 192.168.1.202::r2a15

Source sample:
-rwxrwxrwx    1 install  staff         25856 Jul 30 11:03 LNTIM2
-rwxrwxrwx    1 install  staff         27392 Jul 30 11:11 LNTIM3
-rwxrwxrwx    1 install  staff         29440 Oct 18 10:46 LNTIM4

Destination result on new file write (doesn’t exist on daemon server)

-rwx------    1 root     system        25856 Jul 30 11:03 LNTIM2
-rwx------    1 root     system        27392 Jul 30 11:11 LNTIM3
-rwx------    1 root     system        28928 Sep 30 14:23 LNTIM4