Cannot build rsync 3.1.0 on MacOSX 10.8.5 with fileflags patch

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 11 17:06:05 MDT 2013

> However, attempting to build the new 3.1.0 release on a brand new Mountain Lion box with my standard 'fileflags' and 'crtimes' patches applied, make fails, reporting that 'force_change' is undeclared.

Scott Lasley suggested a workaround for this: apply the 'hfs-compression' patch in addition to 'fileflags' and 'crimes' and everything works.

	patch -p1 <patches/fileflags.diff
	patch -p1 <patches/crtimes.diff
	patch -p1 <patches/hfs-compression.diff
	./prepare-source
	./configure
	make
	sudo make install

Evidently what was missing was a declaration for the force-change flag in main.c: the latter patch adds it.

Looks like hfs-compression is a good patch to recommend for use on OS X installations in any case.

Cheers,
Tony M.