Cannot build rsync 3.1.0 on MacOSX 10.8.5 with fileflags patch

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 10 16:39:13 MDT 2013

Returning to this list after a long hiatus: rsync 3 has been working very well for me for many years, as a supplementary backup tool for MacOSX.

However, attempting to build the new 3.1.0 release on a brand new Mountain Lion box with my standard 'fileflags' and 'crimes' patches applied, make fails, reporting that 'force_change' is undeclared.

In fact, the problem occurs just with the 'fileflags' patch alone:

	patch -p1 <patches/fileflags.diff
	./configure
	make

This generates the error:

gcc -I. -I. -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wall -W -I./popt -I./zlib  -c main.c -o main.o
main.c:846:6: error: use of undeclared identifier 'force_change'
        if (force_change & SYS_IMMUTABLE) {
            ^
1 error generated.
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

Building without the fileflags patch is successful.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Regards,
Tony Morton