Timeout on deletion

AZ 9901 az9901 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 13:43:04 MDT 2013

Le 29 sept. 2013 à 18:49, AZ 9901 a écrit :

> Le 3 août 2013 à 21:26, AZ 9901 a écrit :
>
>> Le 20 mai 2013 à 10:55, AZ 9901 a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I use Rsync client (3.0.9) synchronising to a Rsync daemon (3.0.8) over SSH.
>>>
>>> I have sometimes a huge amount of files to delete.
>>> Rsync daemon can take a lot of time to delete them, leading Rsync client into a timeout…
>>>
>>> Is there any way to avoid this timeout ?
>>> I would have liked not to increase timeout value on client side (which is already set to 600 seconds), as I don't really know how long the deletion will take.
>>>
>>> Could it be possible for the client and the daemon to communicate with each other from time to time during the deletion process ?
>>> The client would then know that deletion is still in progress, this would avoid timeout !
>>
>> I answer myself, Rsync 3.1.0 provides the following improvement :
>>   - A daemon can now inform a client about a daemon-configured timeout value
>>     so that the client can assist in the keep-alive activity (protocol 31).
>
> Wayne,
>
> Thank you for the just released 3.1.0 version !
> I will give it a try, testing its new features :-)
> Btw, what about my question below ?
>
>> I understand that it will avoid timeouts reached by the daemon while the client is working on its side (file list generation etc...).
>> But will it also help when the daemon is working on its side ? (file deletion as in my example above)
>
> Another example could be when the daemon is hard-linking  very huge amount of files (when the client uses --link-dest) and takes a very long time to do it.

Wayne,

Sorry to bother you again, but from io.c I found :
"If the receiver is actively receiving data, it will ensure that the generator knows that it is not idle by sending the generator keep-alive messages."
Is this also true when receiver is deleting files ?

As well, from man of rsync :
"--detete-before : (...) However, it does introduce a delay before the start of the transfer, and this delay might cause the transfer to timeout (if --timeout was specified)."
Related to my previous question, but is this warning still valid ?

Once again, thank you very much !

Ben