Don't follow bind mounts?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun May 19 12:49:50 MDT 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz>wrote:

>  My personal solution is to bind-mount the root of the file system to a
> neutral location, and rsync from there.

That's a great solution!  The only negative I can see is for a non-admin
who doesn't have permission to do the temporary bind mount.

For those that need a non-privileged method, check out the mnt-excl perl
script in the support directory -- it provides a method of generating
excludes from /proc/mounts.  Its comments also mention an even simpler,
filter-option-based solution that will work for some setups (since filters
support absolute paths).