Don't follow bind mounts?

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Wed May 15 18:52:09 MDT 2013

Hello,
The manual says that rsync treats bind mounts on UNIX (Linux) to the
same filesystem as being on the same filesystem.

I have a server with a pile of bind mounts to the same filesystem for
some access control/ease of use for FTP users modifying websites.  This
makes my backups using rsync messy!

Is there any way to stop rsync from following bind mounts to the same
filesystem?  Short of unmounting them all at backup time and remounting
afterwards or explicitly excluding each one?  -x -x seemed hopeful, but
it didn't stop following the mount and I ended up with two copies (or
more!) of the data on my backup server.   Googling just takes me to the
man page saying "no", in a roundabout sort of way. I found this :

http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/PATCH-One-more-x-to-not-traverse-cyclic-bind-mounts-td3216379.html

Which never made it into rsync, it seems (didn't work?) and the script
mnt-excl suggests that it is redundant for rsync >= 2.6.4.  any examples
of use of :

awk '{print $2}' /proc/mounts | rsync -f 'merge,/- -' host:/dir /dest/

around with some details of its use for backups?

Thank you

Carl