file corruption

xiaolong mou xiaolong.mou at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 20:16:45 MST 2013

Thanks. I suspected hardware issue as well. However I did a local
rsync test at the USB drive side and NAS side with the same files. If
there was a local hardware problem (RAM or USB hard drive driver etc)
it should show up in this test, but everything was fine!

Could it be network driver somehow corrupting data? Although it is
hard to believe. I have used the NAS attached to the router for years,
never noticed any network issue. Also the rsync checksum after
transfer should catch this case, right?

I did the original test (transferring data from NAS to router back to
NAS) using rsync over ssh. This time I did see several warning
messages, saying "xxxx failed verification -- update discarded (will
try again)". The diff was fine, apparently the retry worked.

I am fairly puzzled. Hopefully someone can help shed some light to
track it down.