delaying symlinks sync until the data it points to available

Satish Shukla satish at cadence.com
Thu Jun 6 14:55:22 MDT 2013

Hi,

   Is there an easy option in rsync which enables it to sync the data
first and then the symlink pointed to it.  For e.g. at destination I
have a symlink "new" which points to anything latest at source.  The
problem is that when the sync happens it updates the "new" link first
before the data it is pointing to has arrived. This causes me all sorts
of problem.  Please don't advise me for exclude patterns since the
symlinks can have different names (other than "new"). I just need that
symlinks are written only after the data they are pointing is completed/done

My illustration may sound simple but my data set is extremely huge and
very deep dir structures and tons of symlinks under them. Probably I can
get around programmatically  but checking if there is an easier option
that I don't know of.

satish at AA:/export/universe >--> ll
total 12
drwxrwxr-x 2 satish cadence1 4096 Jun  6 16:42 10.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 satish cadence1    4 Jun  6 16:42 new -> 10.2
drwxrwxr-x 2 satish cadence1 4096 Jun  6 16:43 9.2
drwxrwxr-x 2 satish cadence1 4096 Jun  6 16:43 8.2

-SS