Reversing roles of server and client for uploading sync list

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Mon Jul 29 05:14:44 MDT 2013

On 29.07.2013 17:14, cjand8rs at gmail.com wrote:
> I am searched for an easy answer but I haven't come across one.
> Basically the problem is that I have an ADSL network that I use to
> remotely backup some files that have changed across and entire OS every
> few days.
>
> The problem I have found is that banddwidth up is about 50x greater than
> that coming down (its about 20:1 but add noise on the lower 128KHz of
> the 4KHz bins used to upstream and in reality it is about 50x).
>
> When I sync from the machine at the end of the ADSL connection to
> anywhere else the file list is always being SENT to by the machine with
> the slow upstream ADSL connection (swapping the destinations results in a
> "building file list" as opposed to "sending the file list") and in both
> cases it is acting as the "server".
>
> Is there an easy way to change the roles only for syncing the lists, yet
> allowing files to be sent in the other direction? Any experimental
> patcehs would be welcome.

Are you using rsync over SSH or the rsync-demon?

In the former case you could just start rsync on the other host.
(I'm ignoring the problem of authentication!)

If you do something like this:
hosta> rsync -a hostb:/ /backup_hostb/

You could change it to:
hosta> ssh hostb rsync -a / hosta:/backup_hostb/

--

Matthias