wildcards and nested files

Steven Levine steve53 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 3 10:59:59 MDT 2013

In <CAN0CFw3JrK2SaEZrxxqFdz6LGnOnWucPEjFbR1pwV9mXujOECw at mail.gmail.com>,
on 07/03/13
   at 01:49 AM, Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> said:

Hi Grant,

>I couldn't agree more.  May I suggest that the man page make reference to
>this feature under --include-from and --exclude-from ?

It does, but you have to read the man page from top to bottom.  As with
all man pages, there's a trade off between repetition and useful
cross-references.

The man page states

--exclude=PATTERN
This option is a simplified form  of  the  --filter option  that  defaults
to an exclude rule and does not allow the full rule-parsing  syntax  of
normal filter rules ...

and

--exclude-from=FILE
This option is related to the --exclude option, but itspecifies a FILE
that contains exclude patterns ...

The include options are documented similarly.

>> I also added a -i (--itemize-changes) because I am trying to generate
>> a habit of always pairing it with -v since -v isn't all that useful

FWIW, I always use -i and only use -v when debugging.

Steven