--compare-dest -- copy ONLY files with content-differences between 2 directories... to a third

Volker Kuhlmann hidden at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 29 16:54:58 MST 2013

On Wed 30 Jan 2013 12:30:50 NZDT +1300, John Reye wrote:

Use -i to see what exactly will be copied.

By default, rsync decides on what will be copied by looking at size and
modification time. You can ask it to ignore those for the decision by
using -c; which however then forced rsync to created checksums of all
files at source and destination to find out what needs to be copied, and
is thus hugely more resource consuming.

> If you have 2 huge source trees with only a few differences:
> then I want to create 2 new minimal source trees, that contain only the
> differences:

Sounds like what you want is diff -r instead. Otherwise you might find
it more useful to make a script that calculates md5 sums for both trees,
and uses the lists of md5 sums which files need to be packed into an
archive for transfer.

HTH,

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann			is list0570 with the domain in header.
http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.