Is there a howto/tutorial on backups/rsync that covers the use of hard and soft links?

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Jan 23 09:32:10 MST 2013

Oh, absolutely my script has flaws in it.  I will never claim anything I
create or use to not have any flaws. :)

The machines it runs on are strictly servers that rarely get shutdown
though.  The only time that happens if if there's a power failure that
lasts longer than 30 minutes (which has only happened once in the last 20
years or so of us being in this building.)  And it also e-mails me a
detailed log file after it's done, so if there was a failure, I'd see it by
morning and then I can trigger it again manually to get a good backup.  Can
it be better, and aware of failed syncs?  Absolutely.