Error #24 masks error #23?

Ken Preslan ken at preslan.org
Tue Jan 22 18:43:50 MST 2013

Hi all,

I have a script that rsyncs files from one machine to another as part of a
periodic backup.  The source file system can be changing as the backup happens
and sometimes, I get "24 - Partial transfer due to vanished source files"
errors.  That error doesn't really bug me, so I mask it out in my script.
Things just keep going when files vanish.

I really want my script to print a message and stop if it sees a more
significant error, say "23 - Partial transfer due to error".  So, I have
the script do that too.

I recently bumped into a case where a single rsync run had both errors.
First it printed:
rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("/path/to/file","xattrname") failed:
Argument list too long (7)
Then it printed:
file has vanished: "/path/to/other/file".

Rsync returned exit code 24 and my script kept on going -- not what I
wanted it to do.

So, is it the last error that's reported?  An ideas on how to get the
error I want?

Thanks!

--
Ken Preslan <ken at preslan.org>