Does rsync need a --ignore-unreadable-files option?

Voelker, Bernhard bernhard.voelker at siemens-enterprise.com
Fri Jan 11 01:35:14 MST 2013

Kevin Korb wrote (Friday, January 11, 2013 3:14 AM):

> On 01/10/13 21:07, Allen Supynuk wrote:
>> I work on software that archives gigabytes of files to multiple
>> sites.
>>
>> Occasionally one or two files have no read permissions:
>>
>> % ls -l dir/foo --w-------+ 1 abcserve myusers 11222 Jan 10 03:14
>>
>> The error message is: rsync: send_files failed to open "/dir/foo"
>> (in xxx): Permission denied (13)
>>
>> rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous
>> errors) (code 23) at main.c(1518) [generator=3.0.9]
>>
>> To make matters worse, the file is on a read-only snapshot mounted
>> through NFS. In any case root squash is in effect, so super-user
>> is out.

> I am not really sure what you are requesting here.

I'm also not sure ... about the use case of the scenario:

you have a snapshot on some machine, and you have mounted
that read-only. And now, you want to make a backup of that
NFS volume via rsync, right?

Then why not doing it directly on the original host?
Or via SSH from the original host?

Have a nice day,
Berny