A --exclude-checksum option?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun Feb 17 12:59:02 MST 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Karl O. Pinc <kop at meme.com> wrote:

> It occurs to me that a handy solution might be to have an rsync option,
> similar to the --exclude option, which would allow checksumming to happen
> throughout most of the  ackup process but would do "regular" size/timestamp
> based backups on certain directories.

One thing you could do is to apply the checksum-reading.diff patch and then
generate a checksum file (using the included perl script) for the /tmp dir
right before doing your rsync run.  That would cache the file's checksums
and not re-read the files unless the perl script notices that the ctime has
changed (which will cause it to update the cache file).  A patched rsync
will read the checksum from the cache file instead of re-computing it,
which should solve your issue.