rsyncssl

devzero at web.de devzero at web.de
Mon Feb 4 02:19:32 MST 2013

Why put that extra effort into rsync, if you can chain things together ?

The power of unix is exactly that - it`s not about using specialiced tools, but it`s about combining them in innumerable ways, thus multiplying their capabilities.

>Another good reason for a SSL-version of rsync: non-Unix clients...

Stunnel probably runs on as many platforms like rsync. https://www.stunnel.org/ports.html
Besides that, mind that there is no usable native port of rsync on windows. (The cygwin based rsync is very slow, btw)
I think stunnel even runs native on win32.(MinGW)

I was hoping for ssl in rsync for long, but when i saw RsyncSSL, i think it could obsolete an rsync with compiled in ssl support.

Nobdoy would have the idea to put ssh into rsync, rsync is just using that as a sub-process/pipe(and vice versa).
So does RsyncSSL (with stunnel).

On the server side, with rsync + ssh, the ssh daemon listens for incomming ssh connection and then starts rsync, connecting via stdin/stdout.

Analogously, stunnel daemon listens for incoming ssl connection and then starts rsync(d) as a sub-process. The only difference is, that RsyncSSL adds some missing glue.

>I'd love to see rsync-ssl (with the server having CRL support, client
>cert support, and the client/server doing cert validation of course) as
>for one thing I think it would make a damn fine laptop backup solution.

It´s exactly what RsyncSSL can do for you.

regards
roland