Ignoring permission differences...

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Dec 23 10:15:19 MST 2013

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Charles Marcus
<CMarcus at media-brokers.com>wrote:

> But that will ignore differences in permissions - ie, won't recopy
> everything, just because the permissions on the source are different from
> the permissions on the target...

Rsync never recopies anything (which implies a file transfer) because of
permission differences -- it just updates the permissions.  If you mean
that you want to avoid permission changes, you can just add --no-p on the
command-line after the -a (but keep in mind you may need to fix up
permissions for any new transfers).  I also recommend -i
(--itemize-changes) to see what is happening (and --dry-run lets you test
it).