SOLVED - Re: Moving/merging a filesystem back into /

Sun Dec 8 12:50:39 MST 2013

On 2013-12-08 2:11 PM, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:
> Why, after rsync'ing /usr to /tmp-usr, do the sizes differ?
>
>  # du -h --max-depth=0 /usr
> 3.5G    /usr
>
> and
>
>  # du -h --max-depth=0 /tmp-usr
> 3.7G    /tmp-usr
>
> Is that because of the different filesystems (ext4 on / and reiserfs
> on /usr) maybe?
>
> Is there a simple way to get the total # of files and directories for
> comparison, like you can in Windows when getting properties of a folder?

Still curious about this, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger
anyway, and it was about as uneventful as it gets...

Took all of 6 minutes (and almost all of that was rsyncing /usr)...

Made a gentoo forum post in case anyone else wants to do this and may be
a little hesitant like I was...

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7457324.html#7457324

Thanks to all who patiently answered my questions...

I now have /usr merged back into / and no longer have to choose between
using an intramfs (which I vehemently did not want to do) and updating
my system without fear of breakage.

<whew>